Sunday, April 13, 2014

Fives Months Out

I'm essentially five months out until I make the big move to Leeds.  What have I been doing in preparation for not only a personal move, but also a move that also entails a complete career change?

...Does making new food and walking a lot outside count?  Probably not.

I have, though, been doing some small steps to reduce a lot of stress closer to moving date.  My boyfriend and I sealed the deal (which sounds like some awful HGN reality show) on a cute one-bedroom apartment a couple of weeks ago.  It's in a nice part of the city with a lot of greenery; the photos that were sent to me have gotten me really excited about moving there.  It's also a place where a lot of students "infest" the area, as my boyfriend puts it.  Though that's a risk we're taking, the area surrounding our apartment looks clean and quiet--so, we're taking our chances.  Us "old farts" can't be bothered with students who are actually the correct age to do schoolin'.

I've also applied for a student loan and am awaiting confirmation (and the amount) from the University of Leeds.  If it goes through, then I won't have to shell out over 1000 pounds on a tuition deposit.  (Thank goodness.)  Once I receive my CAS number, I can dive into student visa paperwork.  Exciting times of light admin work lie ahead!  I'm so thrilled.

But, all in all, I've been focusing on taking care of myself to the best of my ability.  (Hopefully, this will be more successful than taking care of plants.  I have a brown thumb.)  I had pretty much been going to work, sitting at a desk for nine or more hours, and then driving home with little interaction (and little exposure to sunlight) during the winter months.  Being largely sedentary and not eating that much can lead to an unhealthy lifestyle, among other things.  So, I've started getting out more, walking and running, cooking new recipes, and hanging around friends a little more frequently than the past few months.  It all sounds like some "gather 'round, let's hug and sing campfire songs," but it has started getting me in a more proper mindset to deal with some stressful times ahead.  I think of it as mental and physical preparation for this next stage of transition.

So, while I'm gearing up for that, I plan to spend the summer months full of fun and relaxation.  You may see some of these adventures on the blog; it largely depends on whether I decide to reserve regular posting until I'm in Leeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment