Sunday, May 9, 2010

Neverending Internet Woes and an Excursion to Oslo

I have been capped. That is to say, my Internet has been capped, so its speed has been reduced to a snail's pace. Okay, maybe an Olympics-trained snail's pace, but the pace of a snail, nonetheless. I am mildly (read: very much somewhat) displeased, as I frequently take advantage of Skype's video chat function, but as Google chat and regular old email works, I will not be forced to burn Tchibo's headquarters to the ground. With my BRAIN.

I do, however, sometimes feel like this when I'd like to video chat, such as on a day like Mother's Day:

Not gonna lie. It took about two minutes to upload.

Fortunately, the capping lasts only until the 25th of May, so it's nothing horrible. Just irritating. Though, it does bring me back to the good old days when we had to rely on dial-up Internet.

...Wait. I hated dial-up.

RAGE.


My Trip to Oslo

Yes, the title does not lie! I am finally updating about my very fun trip to Oslo, Norway to visit my friend, Lizzi. For my official statement to the press, please click here.

For a bit of background information, Lizzi and I are former history majors from UAH, and we have been good friends since the spring of 2008, when we traveled to Germany as a part of a history class. Currently, she is studying at the University of Oslo, so she is an ex-pat such as myself. I owe a lot to Lizzi, as she very kindly introduced me to a couple of circles of her friends, who have since become very near and dear friends of mine (ahem, Haley, Archie, and Ryan, I'm looking at you). Through the past couple of years, we've gotten closer, and we've been here for each other through our respective relocation to Europe. So, imagine my excitement when we were able to schedule a visit.

Glee!

I arrived in Oslo Friday afternoon (April 23rd--SHAKESPEARE'S BIRTH[and, evidently, death]DAY--, since it has been awhile) after a very uneventful trip. As I spotted Lizzi coming to pick me up, we rushed to each other and exchanged dorky hugs, and we spent the afternoon catching up and talking about our experiences in Europe. I was glad to realize just why she likes Oslo so much; her friends surround her constantly, the city is calm and relaxed, and the scenery is breathtaking. After dinner and a fun night at Waldemar's, Lizzi's choice pub, we called it a night. The next day, of course, would be reserved for sightseeing and general awesomeness.

This is awesomeness. It also took me two minutes to upload, in case you were wondering.

This lovely shot was taken at Holmenkollen, which provides a stunning view of the fjord. After spending a bit of time admiring the view and looking at a pretty church, Lizzi, Lizzi's Dutch hallmate Tim, and I returned to the hustle and bustle of the city (for it was a-hustling and a-bustling, which is evidently quite uncommon on a Saturday) for lunch and a visit to Vigelandsparken.

"We're naked! And contributing to further phallic imagery."

The Vigelandsparken was very enjoyable, as it is a rather peaceful place. People come to laze about, and the tourists, of course, take silly photos of the naked statues, which is perfectly acceptable to me. That gets the Jen Seal of Approval.

After a romp in the naked statue park (yes, I will forever remember it as such; I can't help it that I have the maturity of a ten-year-old), the trio trekked to the harbor, whereupon we somehow got lost and found ourselves in Denmark. Or, it would have appeared so, as something was taking place that involved a very tall LEGO tower, Danish flags, and marathon runners. Oh, did I mention the marathon runners? They appear to be following me. Further proof: we bumped into them twice--not once, but twice--in the same day at places where we were trying to cross the streets. I would have mowed them down, but as I was in the presence of my friend and her hallmate, I aptly withheld my rage. Next time, marathon runners. Next time.

We ended the day with dinner at another one of Lizzi's friend's, Mike's, place (thank you again for the delicious dinner, Mike) and prepped for the next day's activities.

Sunday witnessed a very splendid breakfast provided by one Damon, yet another one of Lizzi's friends, and I spent the morning getting to know the rest of the group. We then went to the Norwegian Folk Museum, which was very interesting; masquerading as a university student, I partook in a free tour of the museum, and I've decided that I want my house to look like this:

Okay, it's a church, but it'd be a really cool house.

Afterward, we awaited the ferry back to the main part of the city, and just sitting around, suffering through Damon's photo-taking proved to be one of the most enjoyable parts of the day. It had cleared up a wee bit (it had been quite overcast all day, sadly), and so waiting by the water proved yet again to be a peaceful respite from all of my worries of the world.

Tim and Seidi, the posers.

Tim, Seidi, Lizzi, Damon, Gerda, and me. (Yanked from Damon--hope you don't mind.)

Monday, unfortunately, marked the end to my long weekend in Oslo, and it was sad to leave my dear friend and the city itself. It is somewhere I would definitely like to revisit one day, as I felt a certain kind of peace that even I can't quite describe or even pinpoint. The best aspect of this visit, though, was that I was able to see my dear friend, and it was an experience for the both of us to remember concerning our stay in Europe--and of our friendship in general. So, Lizzi, thank you for being a lovely hostess, extending the invitation in the first place, and introducing me to a place that has changed your life. See you back in Alabama.

Well, it would be silly not to post a photo of us in this post.

1 comment:

  1. I was so delighted to have you. :D You have no idea how much I have missed our talks; the internet just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete