Saturday, May 15, 2010

Marcel and Jayne

Marcel and I had been on silent, yet comfortable, terms since mid-March. I had gone about my days either working industrially at the school or doing a bit of traveling, and she came home too late to actually merit any decent conversation. I didn't mind, though, as I myself was too caught up in my own life to really miss the company. Consequently, I barely noticed her decreasing health, and I attributed her sulky disposition to the apparent lack of beetles for munching purposes. I had left her to her own devices, which, in retrospect, probably was not the best of ideas.

Enter Jayne.

Jayne seemed a nice enough guy. I had encountered him a few times in the past, and he had always made a point to exchange pleasantries with me, no matter how awkward the situation. (I don't care how many people state otherwise, it is always awkward to find someone crawling around in one's sink at 7:00 in the morning.) I didn't ask questions, for Marcel's (or Marcelle, as she has now taken to being called while around Jayne) personal life was none of my concern. A "don't ask, don't tell" policy, if you will.

When I was not busy improvising lessons or booking flights, I did notice that Marcel's living area was slowly expanding, and I had recognized some of Jayne's belongings added to the pile. And only a couple of days ago did I realize that Jayne was here to stay.

Imagine this guy, but as a spider.

Needless to say, it was a jolt. Marcel had not asked me for my input on Jayne as a roommate, nor had she asked me about my opinion of him in the first place. I mean, sure, I've mentioned that Jayne's a nice enough guy, but I don't trust spiders, period. Marcel's had been a special case, and she knew damn well that she was taking advantage of my hospitality.

But, before reaching for the vacuum cleaner to suck the both of them into oblivion, I remembered how Marcel's depression prior to Jayne's appearance had affected her, and how Jayne's presence had markedly helped her regain her biting personality. And though my fear of spiders lingers even now, I have to give Jayne credit. He's one hell of a guy to be able to do that.

So, with two roommates residing on my ceiling, I am now considering demanding rent from them. If I can split rent three-way, having roommies may not be a bad idea at all...

3 comments:

  1. Soon they'll be breeding and you'll have thousands of little spiders bursting out of Marcel. "You don't understand!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Er, I'm hoping that will happen *after* I move out next month. Still, it'd be a great plot twist, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had completely forgotten about Marcel.

    ReplyDelete