Wednesday, June 16, 2010

It's Getting Close

Very soon, I will have to write a blog post that I have been dreading writing, and that concerns a summary and reflection of my tenure as a Fulbright E.T.A.  It means that I have to say goodbye to a job that I've loved dearly and to children who don't really know it, but who have made an impact on me.  A frightfully big impact.

They're not without their faults.  They're ungrateful, sometimes bratty, sometimes spiteful little ducks, but for the most part they're the most well-behaved students I've seen.  I know that most will not remember me other than the fact that there was an American E.T.A. at their school, even though I was actively doing things in their classes at least once a week all year.  I also know that some teachers will be relieved to get back to teaching solo.

And I'm okay with this.  I've loved every minute of it, including the stressful and hurtful parts.

The grief that I'll have is necessary.  If I didn't have the grief, then this time wouldn't have mattered to me as much as it has.

*   *   *

A few things have happened since my last post.  Two Sundays ago, I went with Maryle and Rachel, the Dresden Fulbrighter with whom I stayed over New Year's, to Hildesheim, a quaint town in Niedersachsen.  It really was a pretty place, and we spent most of our time outside walking around or inside churches.  The most notable aspect of our trip was the absolute quiet that surrounded us, as most shops are closed on Sundays in Germany.  It was certainly the quietest trip I have taken.  Other interesting things about the trip include: the 1,000-year rosebush, the St. Michaelis Kirche (claimed to be 1,000 years old, but it's more like 700), getting a free tour from an elderly man in the St. Andreas Kirche, getting Spaghetti Eis (yes, spaghetti ice cream), and taking a picture of a half-eaten sandwich.

Rachel: "Why would someone leave a sandwich here?"  (as all three of us whip out our cameras)

This past Saturday brought about the last opera I am to see here in Germany (for awhile, anyway): Puccini's Madama Butterfly.  The production was quite good, but I had a sad feeling in my heart when I gave the opera house one last glance, for I knew that the curtain had drawn on one of my favorite pastimes here in Germany.  Having seen six operas in ten months, I call this an accomplishment, and I have Maryle to thank for getting me into this form of theatre and music.

Sunday also was a bit busy for me, as my fellow substitute/friend, Katrin, had invited me to coffee.  She picked me up and drove to Hehlener Tor, a suburb of Celle (whereas I live in Klein Hehlen).  The cafe, KraeuThaer, is actually a cooking school, and all of the food is made by the students.  Katrin had invited another one of the substitutes, Helga, along, and Annagriet, one of the actual teachers at GKH, also came.  All in all, it was a very enjoyable visit, and we spent about three and a half hours talking.  I really do appreciate it that Katrin went out of her way to invite me to do something before I left, and her gift of a "good luck" book will have a place in my special bookcase back in Huntsville.

This week has been hectic, as so many teachers are out either on class trips or because of illness.  Because of this, I have been promoted to full substitute for English, which is fine.  It would have been better had Suzana actually left, you know, lesson plans, but I don't want to sound greedy.

Next week will be painful.

Next week I must say goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a very enjoyable couple of weeks. Leaving is always bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete